Illegal Dumping

Illegal dumping is the disposing of waste in non-designated areas. This is commonly found in rural areas, vacant lots and along the roadside. Most illegal dumping is done to avoid either fees at recycling centres or the time and effort required for proper disposal.

Items illegally dumped include:
  • household garbage
  • business trash
  • construction and demolition materials
  • appliances
  • furniture
  • tires
  • landscaping and yard waste
  • chemical and medical waste

The questions below will provide you with guidance regarding who to contact to report illegal dumping and
other garbage-related complaints.
expandWho do I contact if I have witnessed illegal dumping?
If you witness illegal dumping, please call 905-458-3424 immediately and report all relevant details, including the time, location, description of the vehicle (licence plate number) and what the person looked like (male/female, tall/short). This will help the Enforcement Division to locate the violator. Illegal dumping could include, but is not limited to, construction materials, old tires, factory and office garbage, etc.
expandWho do I contact if the garbage containers are overflowing on private property?
If you observe a garbage bin on private property that is filled to capacity and overflowing onto the ground, please contact 905-458-3424 and Property Standards will attend and may issue an Order to Comply to clean up the refuse. Refuse could include, but is not limited to, restaurant materials, cardboard and papers, etc.
expandWho do I contact if I see someone dumping items in a catch basin or sewer?
If you see a person dumping any substance down a catch basin (more commonly referred to as a sewer), please contact 905-458-3424 immediately to allow Road Patrol or Enforcement the opportunity to attend before the materials are washed away and end up in our waterways. Substances dumped into catch basins could include, but are not limited to, food waste, cleaning products and vehicle fluids such as paint, antifreeze, oil, gas and windshield fluids.
expandWho do I contact if I see a vehicle leaking fluids?
If you have witnessed a vehicle either leaving a large pool of liquid, when the vehicle is moved or you have observed liquids running out from under the vehicle, please contact 905-458-3424 immediately so the Enforcement Division can respond. This could include, but is not limited to, antifreeze, oil, gas and windshield fluids.
expandWho do I contact if I feel a private property is not being maintained?
The City of Brampton has a Minimum Maintenance By-Law 104-96 that regulates the upkeep of privately-owned lands in Brampton. This would include, but is not limited to, household garbage, auto parts, appliances, old or broken toys and broken lawn equipment. Please contact 905-458-3424 to lodge a complaint. You will be required to give your name, address and phone number. This information is not given out to the public.
expandWho do I contact about garbage collection? What kind of waste is collected?
Garbage can be put out to the curb after 7 p.m. the day before your area gets garbage pickup.  Contact The Region of Peel for information about waste collection in Brampton.
expandSomeone has left an old fridge on the curb. I am concerned that this is a hazard. Who do I contact?
If there is a fridge, with the door attached, on private property or out on the curb, please call 905-458-3424 immediately and report to Enforcement. This type of debris could be a danger to small children who may try to hide/play in it.
expandWho do I contact about the safe storage and disposal of tires?
Please contact the Ministry of the Environment at 905-319-3847. The storing of tires can create a huge impact to the neighbourhood and is an environmental hazard if they catch fire.
expandWho do I contact if I witness illegal dumping of hazardous materials?
If you have witnessed the illegal dumping of hazardous materials or you come across a contaminated area, do not try to remove the material yourself. Call 905-458-3424 to have an enforcement officer attend and secure the area. Hazardous materials could include, but are not limited to, medical waste, car batteries, old fridges, air conditioners, etc.  For more information about how to properly dispose of these items, please contact The Region of Peel.