The Development Charges Act enables the Council of a municipality to enact a development charge by-law for financing costs resulting from new growth.
NEW REGION OF PEEL DEVELOPMENT CHARGES BY-LAW
The Region of Peel adopted a new Development Charges By-law on September 13th, 2012.
For further information, please contact Peter Rebellati at the Region of Peel, at 905-791-7800 ext 4439.
Calculation and Payment
The City uses current rates, based on these criteria, to calculate development charges:
- In the case of residential development or the residential portion of a mixed-use development, based upon the number and type of dwelling units;
- In the case of non-residential development or the non-residential portion of a mixed-use development, based upon the total floor area of such development; or
- In the case of non-residential development or the non-residential portion of a mixed-use development containing industrial and non-industrial components, based upon the total floor area of the industrial component and the total floor area of the non-industrial component.
The by-law may provide for credits, exemptions and special provisions for residential and non-residential development. Institutional exemptions may include land, building or structures intended for hospital, government, education, colleges, universities or religious purposes.
Building permits are issued after receipt of the development charge payment.
Development Charge Rates
The rates are subject to indexing and are adjusted on February 1st and August 1st of each year using the Statistics Canada Quarterly, Construction Price Statistic (catalogue no. 62-007), as prescribed by the Development Charges Act.
Treasurer's Annual Statement
The Development Charges Act requires the Treasurer of the municipality to annually provide City Council a statement about each Reserve Fund established under the Act.
The statement reflects the opening and closing balances of each year, the current year's distribution of the development charge proceeds, any financing transfers and the interest earned on the fund. A detail of the financing transfer to specific projects/accounts accompanies the statement.
You can view the Treasurer's statement at 2 Wellington Street West, 2nd floor, Brampton, during regular business hours. Please contact:
Need a contact?
For information about paying development charges, please contact:
Phone: 905-874-2255 or 905-874-2256
Manager, Financial Planning and Budgets
The City collects development charges on behalf of the Region of Peel Government and school boards, based on those agencies' by-laws. For information on their by-laws call:
- Regional Municipality of Peel:
905-791-7800, ext. 4439
- Peel District School Board and Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board:
905-890-0708, ext. 24462