A recent competition saw two Brampton Headquarter Companies among “Canada’s Best Employers for New Canadians”. Both Loblaw Companies Ltd. and Medtronic of Canada Ltd. were recognized for the work they do to integrate new Canadians into their workforce.
Loblaw was selected for several reasons, among them;
- a partnership with the University of Toronto that offers international pharmacy students four month internships and permanent positions once they are fully licensed.
- development of an “English in the workplace” video done in partnership with Immigration Settlement and Integration Services (ISIS)
- work with Access Employment and Career Bridge as well as ISIS and Microskills to match new Canadian job-seekers with vacancies in the organization
Medtronic’s recognition came in part for the following;
- work with Access Employment, the Newcomer Centre of Peel and the Dufferin-Peel Adult Learning Centre to connect with new Canadians
- easing transitions by paring employees who are new to the country with another of similar background
- establishing a diversity and inclusiveness council
Both Medtronic and Loblaw are located in the Churchill Business Park at Mississauga Road and Highway 407. Loblaw employs over 3,000 people in Brampton. Medtronic, one of the City’s newest life sciences companies, has over 100 people working locally.
A third company with strong Brampton connections, New Flyer Industries, was also included among Canada’s best. The Winnipeg based transportation manufacturer recently opened a parts distribution centre in the City. The company also supplies busses for Brampton’s new ZUM lines.
For more information on the Best Employers for New Canadians competition please click here