Respect Is a Mutual Thing
Brampton Transit is committed to providing a safe trip for our riders and a safe working environment for our bus operators. We ask that you treat our buses – and Bus Operators – with respect and adhere to the Rider Guidelines below.
Rules and Regulations
A Brampton Transit bus operator is responsible for operating our buses and administering the policy and rules of By-law #82-2008. Any person who violates any provision of By-law #82-2008 is liable to a fine as provided for in the Provincial Offences Act.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- The wearing of ice skates, roller skates or in-line skates is strictly prohibited. Skateboards and recreational scooters must be dismounted before entering the bus.
- Smoking and/or the use of e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers (PV’s) or other similar devices are prohibited on Brampton Transit buses and at terminals. Click here for more information.
- Use of audio or visual recording devices on the bus or within a transit facility is strictly prohibited, unless prior written authorization has been granted by the City of Brampton.
- No playing of any musical instrument, radio, portable media player or any other similar device, unless earphones are used at a volume which cannot be heard by any other person.
- Transportation of animals is restricted to service animals (e.g. guide dogs for individuals who have vision loss). Small non-exotic bird or mammal pets, when carried without danger or offense to other customers, are permitted provided they are leashed or caged at all times, and shall not be permitted during peak hours, emergencies, or if the transit vehicle is heavily loaded. Brampton Transit Bus Operators have the authority to refuse any animal they believe may be likely to cause harm, damage or discomfort to any person or property.
- Litter (such as coffee cups, drink containers, food wrappings, gum) is the responsibility of the customer and is to be placed in litter receptacles.
- No firearms, prohibited weapons, toxic substances, flammable or explosive materials are allowed on the bus.
- The transportation of large or bulk items will be permitted providing there is adequate room on the bus and the item(s) does not impede the safe operation of the vehicle.
- Customers are to remain seated or hold the handrail while the bus is in motion.
- Customers are to stand behind the bus operator and refrain from lengthy conversations with the Bus Operator.
- Use of profanity or discriminatory language is prohibited. Customers engaging in inappropriate behaviour may be asked to leave the bus.
- No spitting.
- No alcohol permitted, except where the alcohol is in its original sealed bottle, can or container, not displayed for public view.
- No consumption of alcohol and/or illegal drugs permitted on the bus.
- Customers are responsible for their personal belongings and Brampton Transit assumes no responsibility for any lost articles.
For more information on riding Brampton Transit, click here.