How long have you been a Web Content Technologist with the City of Brampton?
I’ve been employed as a web content technologist for almost four years.
What does your job entail?
My primary role is to create and maintain web content and tools for internal (City staff) and external (public) audiences. Web content can range from single web pages to whole web sites.
What do you like most about your job?
I like producing content that’ll be useful to the audience. For internal audiences, I like to improve our staff’s day-to-day tasks. For the public, I like that we’re producing content that will inform them about a City activity or asset.
What do you think are key skills a person in this field should possess?
- Strong English writing skills
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite applications
What are three courses that would benefit someone in your role?
- Technical writing courses (writing for industries, etc.) are invaluable.
- Take an advanced grammar or copy editing course. It will be very useful.
- If you’re not a fan of online classes or tutorials, take an introductory course on the Adobe graphic design products (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.).
What do you like about working for the City?
I enjoy working for the citizens of Brampton, whether it’s through providing tools to help staff serve our residents or by providing useful info and content on our projects and assets throughout the city.