Significant effort has been expended to get to the exciting announcement of October 26, 2016.
Here’s an overview of where we’ve been, what we’re doing, and where it’s going.
- In May 2015 the Province announced they were planning a second competitive call for proposals for a new university campus, with a focus on the Regions of Peel and Halton
- The Blue Ribbon Exploratory Panel for establishing a University in the City of Brampton was created in July 2015 to lead the City’s efforts in securing a university.
- On October 26, 2016, the Province of Ontario announced funding for a university in Brampton
- On January 18, 2017, the Province released its Call for Expressions of Interest for a university to submit a proposal to establish a university in Brampton, with an initial submission deadline of March 6.
- On March 14, 2017, the Province revealed that Ryerson University, in partnership with Sheridan College, submitted an application to establish a new facility in Brampton. The Province will work with Ryerson and its partners over the coming months to refine its proposal.
- On September 13, 2017, Brampton City Council endorsed, in principle, investing up to $50M over 10 years into a post-secondary facility, and up to $100M into joint-use community space to support a university, business innovation and collaboration, community interaction, and cultural growth.
What we know
- All stakeholders are working towards a facility or facilities that combines education with innovation and collaboration, something beyond a traditional university campus.
- A university will bring significant social and economic benefits to Brampton. A 2015 economic impact study articulated some of these benefits.
- The City of Brampton has shown leadership in committing to an investment strategy for a new university and centre for education, innovation and collaboration in Downtown Brampton.
What we're doing right now
- Working on a Memorandum of Understanding outlining the commitments and responsibilities of all parties involved in the project.
- Continuing to work with partners to develop plans for a new university and centre of education, innovation and collaboration.
- Finalizing the updated economic impact study.
What we can't answer (yet!)
- The exact location of a university – Downtown location opportunities are still being discussed and explored among all parties.
- When the university will be open for business – as the process unfolds we will know more to develop a project timeline.
What we're committed to
- Brampton will host a university and a centre for education, innovation and collaboration that’s the best fit – for the City, for the university and for the province.