Brampton, ON – The City of Brampton is working towards building a bicycle-friendly city, and its efforts have been recognized through the Bicycle Friendly Community awards with a Bronze status, announced by the Share the Road Cycling Coalition at the April 12 Ontario Bike Summit awards.
“Brampton will continue work to improve and advance opportunities for cycling. Making it easier to walk and cycle in Brampton supports the strategic plan vision for a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold and is a fundamental element for building complete communities,” said Regional Councillor Martin Medeiros, member of the Cycling Advisory Committee.
In recent years, the City has made important commitments to and investments in building a bicycle-friendly community, and championing bicycling as a safe, healthy and fun means of recreation and transportation. These include:
• Establishment of the Brampton Cycling Advisory Committee: A citizen committee advising on utilitarian and recreational cycling matters in Brampton. The Committee advocates to City Council and other legislative bodies for cycling-supportive legislation and policies, provides input to City staff on the delivery of cycling infrastructure and programs, and participates in educational and awareness activities to promote the benefits of cycling.
• Addition of an Active Transportation Project Manager: A full-time staff position leading a multi-disciplinary team in the development and implementation of active transportation initiatives, which are a key to the successful management of the City’s transportation network, and to building vibrant and attractive urban centres.
• Preparation of an Active Transportation Master Plan: To provide a strategy for building a comprehensive cycling and pedestrian network across the City that connects to neighbouring municipalities. This will enable safer, more convenient travel and encourage cycling as a viable means of transportation for both recreational and utilitarian purposes.
• Community Rides: Led by volunteer members of the Brampton Cycling Advisory Committee, this series of free casual cycling tours provides opportunities for residents and visitors to explore Brampton and connect with other cyclists.
A Bronze Bicycle Friendly Community designation indicates that a community has taken the first steps in its journey to become a great place to ride a bike. Brampton joins other Ontario municipalities in making progress towards the provincial goal of becoming the best jurisdiction to ride a bike in Canada.
• Cycling in Brampton
• Active Transportation Master Plan
• Brampton’s trails map
Brampton is thinking bigger. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instill pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.
City of Brampton
905.874.3654 | email@example.com