The City of Brampton now offers civil marriage ceremonies through the City Clerk’s Office.
Civil marriage ceremonies are conducted at Alderlea, 40 Elizabeth Street South, Brampton. The venue can accommodate up to 30 people including the applicants and witnesses. Photos of the venue are available here
. Photos of the ceremony space are shown below.
Appointments are available on Mondays between 9 am and 4 pm (excluding statutory holidays). Appointments must be booked in person at the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall.
The length of the ceremony can be up to 30 minutes.
Both applicants are required to attend a pre-ceremony meeting with the Marriage Officiant. Meetings must take place at least 7 days prior to the wedding ceremony.
Applicants must bring the following to the meeting:
- Valid photo identification for each applicant
- A valid Ontario Marriage Licence
- A receipt for payment in full of fees for the ceremony
- Customized script, including vows, if appropriate
The fee for the civil marriage ceremony is $350 + HST ($395.50). The fee does not include the cost of a marriage licence, which must be purchased separately ($140).
In the event of a cancellation, fees are partially refundable up to 7 days prior to the scheduled ceremony, and non-refundable within 7 days or less.
Change of Date
Any change of date made 7 days or more before the ceremony will be subject to a $50 + HST administration fee and is subject to availability. Changes of date made less than 7 days before the ceremony are treated as a cancellation.
Two witnesses are required to be present during the ceremony. It is suggested that witnesses are at least 14 years of age.
The ceremony will be conducted in English. If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter and he/she must provide identification and complete an Oath of Interpreter form at the ceremony. The interpreter may not be one of the witnesses.
- Applicants may choose from three ceremony scripts. The scripts can be downloaded or provided by the City upon request.
- Subject to approval by the Marriage Officiant, the applicants may personalize parts of the script, including the vows. All customizations must be brought, in writing, to the pre-ceremony meeting.
- Music deemed appropriate by the Marriage Officiant is permitted. All requests for music must be presented at the pre-ceremony meeting.
- Small flower arrangements are permitted, but must be removed by the applicants at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Candles, confetti, rice, incense, bubbles, or similar are not permitted at the ceremony or on the grounds of the venue.
Please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 905-874-2101 for more information.