We’re building change in Brampton.
The urban centre we serve is one of the youngest, fastest growing, most diverse cities in the country. We’re aiming high and thinking big, to position Brampton as an emergent global city of the future.
Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity and agility. We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited and empowered to deliver results for Brampton.
We are seeking a
Director, Policy Planning
As our Director of Policy Planning, you are able to innovate and develop a strategic vision that supports the Corporation’s Strategic Plan through Planning, Design and Development policy initiatives. You have a keen ability to elevate Planning by leading the development of modern policy that supports sustainable planning, heritage protection, growth management and regulatory compliance building a strong and complete community on the global stage.
Your success is based on partnerships with internal and external stakeholders that you build through collaboration, maintaining integrity and achieving results. As a key member of the leadership team, you will participate in strategic planning at both the divisional level and City-wide while providing sound advice to the leadership team and your colleagues.
- Establish the strategic direction for the Division and provide oversight and mentorship to the team.
- Using innovation and emerging industry trends, recommends new and improved analysis and approaches to enhance policy and growth management plans.
- Assume a critical role as a member of the Senior Management team in advancing strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Provide input and expertise to strategic business planning and budgetary exercises.
- Develop the City’s Official Plan in partnership with other Senior leaders in the Department.
- Provide integrated and innovative solutions within the Division utilizing a strategic and visionary focus.
- Working with various stakeholders, develop and recommend effective land development strategies that improve quality of life for Brampton residents by creating a livable and sustainable built environment while protecting natural resources.
- Participates and on occasion, or lead corporate projects as required.
- Establish goals, objectives, and financial and human resource requirements in partnership with senior staff.
- Provide advice and direction for problem solving of complex issues.
- Communicate, exemplify and nourish sound business values, ethics and leadership skills in all actions and decisions and ensure implementation of appropriate policies, practices and procedures.
- Ensure all activities promote optimum effectiveness and excellence in planning and growth management deliverables within the Division.
- Maintain an awareness of developments within the disciplines of the Department to promote innovative policy and growth management concepts.
- Develop and implement strategies and policies that will continue to transform the management and delivery of services within your Division to deliver sustained improvements.
- Lead and manage other complex planning policy oriented projects in a multi-disciplinary context, which may include policy review and development related to such matters as natural heritage, housing, employment, heritage open space design, finance, sustainable development, and growth management.
- Responsible for the preparation and adherences to the operating and capital budgets, monitors and administers approved budget.
- Develop, administer and control the divisional budget along with senior staff.
- Ensure the development, presentation and implementation of appropriate divisional policies, programs, practices and procedures are aligned with the City’s strategic vision while preserving high quality service within the Department.
- Prepare, and obtain approval of, project terms of reference, and manage hiring of consultants.
- Establish and foster excellent working relationships within and beyond the community, and focus on collaborative arrangements to help achieve the business goals and objectives.
- Act as a community liaison for Planning Policy and Growth Management to support best practice service delivery and development change.
- Work with developers with the intent of best interest for the City’s growth and development.
- Champion excellence of customer service standards and delivery with key external partners and stakeholder groups.
- Partner with the Senior Management team and provide interpretation, guidance and information as required.
- Liaise with and respond to enquiries, complaints and concerns from Council and Senior Management.
- Work with the Commissioner to develop and enhance the City’s reputation locally, regionally, and nationally building on its strengths and innovation culture.
Communication and Reporting
- Coordinate with Senior Management and committees as required and report on regulatory requirements.
- Attend Council Committee meetings, departmental and public meetings; prepare presentations and provide information/advice/expertise and justification for recommendations.
- Prepare, present reports and advise Council and management on developments and opportunities. Organize and conduct public meetings and resolve stakeholder interests.
- Ensure fair and responsible decision making, appropriate management of resources and effective planning and development practices for the municipal land use.
- Ensure legislative and compliance is foremost in all policy development initiatives.
- Develop and recommend sustainable community initiatives for community design while ensuring the enhancement of cultural heritage and landscapes.
- Commissioner, Planning and Development Services
- Manager, Land Use Policy
- Manger, Parks and Facility Planner
- Administrative Assistant, Planning & Development Services
- Responsible for an overall team of 19 employees.
Check out this video of what employees have to say about working at the City of Brampton: Join Our Team Video.
For more information regarding the role and to apply now, click here.