We’re building change in Brampton.
We are seeking a
Commissioner, Planning & Development
Brampton is a city focused on the future. We serve one of the youngest, fastest growing, and most diverse cities in the country. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus that is aiming high and thinking bigger. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building a vibrant community that ignites opportunity and instils pride in the people who live and work here.
Brampton is in the midst of transforming, out in front, as a pioneer of suburban excellence. Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity and agility. We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited and empowered to deliver results for Brampton, and beyond.
This corporate leadership role is responsible for providing strategic direction and advice to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and departmental leaders on the City’s portfolio of Planning and Development building meaningful relationships that translate into momentum. This brave visionary leader will help shape the strategic direction of the organization by leveraging key portfolios and creating centres of collaboration and opportunity that will deliver on the 2040 Vision. With a mandate to be a culture-shaper, this leader will transform programs and services in Planning and Development that will enable the City to capitalize on opportunity.
This leader will develop and implement appropriate business strategies to respond to internal and external drivers and community needs. The leader will achieve strategic outcomes by challenging existing practices and programs and identifying innovative and cost-effective ways to accelerate progress.
The Commissioner will lead transformational change by pushing boundaries, thinking bigger and making courageous decisions to develop a culture of continuous improvement and leading practices. Guided by clear values, ethics and strong partnerships – both within the corporation and externally with government, industry and community stakeholders -- this leader will ensure growth through the “right” investments in development services, building services, policy planning, transportation planning, strategic planning developments, and community innovation and resilience. The Commissioner will foster a workplace culture of outstanding customer service through multi-discipline teamwork, operational excellence and accountability.
Creating and implementing this future vision requires initiative, inspiration, courage, and fortitude as well as unique approaches to planning that are rooted in collaborative city building across key disciplines, including external stakeholders and community engagement. Success will involve leading edge planning that aligns closely with economic development, planners, engineers, and landscape architects, with an uncompromising focus on building a great city that instils pride in it’s residents.
Specific Accountabilities Include
- Enhancing the Planning and Development Commissions organization, business model and culture. While supporting the City’s direction and interests, and sustaining the high quality of advice and services, this includes focus on solution oriented planning advice, improving the pace of service delivery and solutions, and development of positive stakeholder relationships; high professional and ethical standards; adherence to legal regulations and City standards, and enhancement of the planning and development commissions knowledge and expertise to sustain knowledge-based delivery of advice and services, and source external experts as required. In addition, a focus on developing leaders and teams drawing together their strengths, enabling a culture of connection where synergies are leveraged, employees are empowered, engagement is visible in high quality results and the team are all striving for a common purpose.
- Providing the vision, strategic leadership, advice and expertise for planning to bring the Brampton community together ensuring the City can plan, grow, and develop into a world leader. This accountability requires clarity of understanding of the strategic direction of the City, political acuity, expert counsel and sound recommendations which are backed by experience and a comprehensive understanding across a wide range of planning and development activities and disciplines. It also requires the establishment of an effective (capital) program management framework, protocols, and tools to lead, manage and develop a robust and ambitious program of multi-year community development projects (e.g. transit, hospital expansion, downtown revitalization, new housing development, university proposal) in varying stages of assessment, plan, design, build and implement in all parts of the City.
- Building and sustaining a collaborative and trusting partnership with all core stakeholders. This includes building credibility and trust with the Mayor and Council, City leaders, all levels of government and other stakeholders. This requires broad engagement of stakeholders to provide a voice in shaping the vision and future of the city, and provision of objective, non-partisan, strategic advice, and decision support to Council on planning initiatives.
- Corporate Ambassadorship. This includes enhancing relationships with other public and private sector organizations to exchange information, acquire knowledge and continually build experience for the benefit of the organization and the citizens of Brampton. In addition, compose and deliver speeches and presentations as appropriate extending the City’s reach, brand and profile.
- Oversight of services to council, senior management, operational divisions, agencies, and the private sector. Provide leadership oversight, stewardship and delivery of innovative and best practice planning and development advice, counsel, services to City leaders and City agencies through the planning and development division’s leadership and staff.
- Setting the overall strategic direction of the Planning and Development Commission. This includes establishing planning and development department vision, goals, policies, and short and long-term objectives that are consistent with the overall City’s Planning and Development priorities direction of the City, while recognizing planning and development regulations. The balanced approach will result in short term excellence and implementation of initiatives to support long term direction.
- Enhance Economic Development in support of the 2040 vision. With Brampton's planning vision in mind, you will support the economic development function to entice foreign investment and present the City to the world, with the goal of attracting large employers in order to create a strong, competitive job market.
Key Competencies, Qualifications and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Planning, Engineering, Business, Public Administration or related specialization
- Planning degree and designation are preferred.
- MBA degree an asset
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a Senior Executive in a municipal environment, or similar
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing multi-faceted strategic plans for diverse stakeholders with wide-ranging impacts
- Experience in motivating and leading other senior leaders, in a salaried and unionized environment (municipal experience is an asset)
- Visionary leader with transformative thinking and delivery
- Demonstrated integrity and fiscal responsibility
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal/networking skills
- Financial acumen
- Working knowledge of the business fundamentals in Planning and Development Services spectrum
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Chief Building Official
Director of Development Services
- Director Policy Planning
- Director Strategic Development
- Manager Community Innovation & Resilience
- Senior Manager Transportation Planning
The City of Brampton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise WMC of accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. The City of Brampton offers competitive compensation along with a benefits plan, pension plan and professional development.
ARE YOU READY?
We look forward to meeting you. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact WMC directly. Any communication and information received will be treated confidentially. Please call or email your resume to Graham Herbert: firstname.lastname@example.org 416.362.6863 x228 or David Howes: email@example.com 416.362.6863 x 230
Check out this video of what employees have to say about working at the City of Brampton: Join Our Team Video.