Firefighter Application Process
Candidates are required to attend Brock University to be tested on the following six components:
1) Medical Exam: $80.00- Valid for 1 year
2) Clinical Test: $90.00- Valid for 6 months
3) Occupational Test (CPAT): $160.00- Valid for 1 year
4) Aptitude Exam: $50.00- Valid for 6 months
5) Acrophobia Test: $15.00- Valid for 1 year
6) Swim Test: $15.00- Valid for 1 year
Please visit the Brock University Firefighter Screening Services website at www.brockfirefighter.com for upcoming testing dates.
All six test components must be successfully completed in one day. Unsuccessful candidates may re-test on any given test date. To register, please go to www.brockfirefighter.com. If you are unable to register online, please contact Brock Firefighter Screening Services at email@example.com. To purchase the CPS prep manual ($25), or to participate in a CPAT orientation ($100), please contact Brock University at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Transportation costs and any fees associated with the Brock Firefighter screening will be the responsibility of the applicant.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
Applicants who have met all of the above mandatory qualifications and successfully completed their individual screening, must provide the following:
- Job application
- First Aid/CPR certificates
- Brock University Screening Services certificate (issued after successful completion of testing)
- Proof of education
Applicants are required to bring their application package including certificates and copies of licenses to the Brock University Screening test. Candidates who are successful with the Brock University testing are required to pay a $25.00 application fee at time of submission.
Candidates wishing to update their application including changes to contact information, updates to minimum or preferred qualifications, or improved scores through subsequent Brock testing, may do so at any time by contacting Staffing Services, City of Brampton Human Resources at 905-874-2926.
All candidates who have completed Stages 1 and 2 will be placed on an active candidate list for consideration for interviews as vacancies arise. Candidates will remain on the active list for two (2) calendar years from the end of the year in which they qualify. For example, an individual who applies in April 2013 will remain on the active list until December 31, 2015. If an applicant updates their file with a new Brock University Screening Service certificate before their application period expires, their application date will be adjusted to reflect the date their file was updated, and the date of the latest submission will be used to re-adjust their time on the active list. For example; if the candidate who originally applied in April 2013 re-tests at Brock and submits a new Screening certificate in August 2015, their submission date would be adjusted and will expire 2 years from the end of this new submission year. In this case the new date of expiry would be December 31, 2017.
The Human Resources Division schedules interviews only as vacancies arise. Not all candidates on the active list will be granted interviews.
Should you be successful at the interview stage you will move to the next stage of the recruitment process, which involves the conducting of background checks. You will be required to provide:
A minimum of two work-related references from previous or current supervisors or managers ;
Official copy of your driver’s abstract issued within the 3 month period prior to the date requested;
Vulnerable Sector Screening clearance issued by the RCMP or your local police service.
Note: The candidate will incur the cost of the driver’s abstract. The City of Brampton will incur the cost for the Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Final Job Offer
Candidates must successfully complete Stage 4 to receive a final job offer with Brampton Fire and Emergency Services.
- High school diploma
- Graduate of the Pre-Service Fire Fighter Education & Training Program or NFPA 1001 - Fire Fighter I & II certified;
- Valid Ontario Class “DZ” drivers license (by the interview stage);
- Valid and current First Aid and CPR certificate;
- Successful completion of the Brock University screening tests in one day;
- Meet all employment conditions as required by the City of Brampton.
- Certified Firefighter or Certified Career Firefighter through the Ontario Fire Marshal (Components 1,2,3 testing) or equivalent;
- Firefighter experience (volunteer or professional);
- Fire Technology education;
- Mechanical training or experience;
- Medical training (i.e. paramedic);
- Knowledge of firefighting equipment, terminology and practice;
- Demonstrated community service involvement;
- Dedication to customer service;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment.