Committee Objectives and Responsibilities:
The Brampton Safety Council shall consider matters which relate directly to school safety concerns and pedestrian education. The objectives and responsibilities of this Committee are:
1. To consider the advisability of and to co-ordinate student school bus and street patroller programs and to advise on matters relating thereto.
2. To consider and advise upon matters relating to school route, school bus and bicycle safety.
3. To develop, implement and assist with programs conducted both in and outside the schools promoting safety awareness, pedestrian education and bicycle safety
4. To review existing and prospective new adult school guard stations, employing approved warrant criteria and recommend additions or deletions to system as required.
5. To report on and refer to appropriate City and Regional departments, School Boards, Police Divisions, etc. any other matters related to school safety requiring the application of engineering standards and warrants, specialized expertise or enforcement.
Citizen members are required to be available to conduct approximately 3 site inspections per month, in the vicinity of schools, at morning arrival and afternoon dismissal times to observe matters related to student safety (traffic volume/ congestion, recommended walking routes, school bus issues, crossing guard locations, Kiss and Ride operations). These site inspections must be submitted in writing to the Committee Coordinator, once the inspection is completed.
Citizen members also are required to provide two to three days on-site training at schools, during initial start of a Kiss and Ride operation.
No fewer than five and no more than nine citizen members
One Member of Council
One representative from each of the following:
1. staff representative from Peel Regional Police Regional Traffic Unit
2. staff representative from City of Brampton Works and Transportation Department
3. staff representative from Student Transportation Office, Peel District School Board/Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
4. staff representative from Brampton Fire and Emergency Services
5. representative from Brampton Safe City Association
6. representative from Parking Enforcement, Enforcement and By-law Services Division
Mike Moffat, Chair
Patrick Doran, Vice-Chair
City Councillor Bob Callahan – Wards 3 and 4
Trustee Beryl Ford, Peel District School Board
Trustee Scott McLauchlan, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Marcy Macina, East Planning and Operations Officer, Student Transportation of Peel Region
Sergeant Eric Skinner, Regional Breath Unit, Peel Regional Police
Mike Parks, Manager of Traffic Engineering Services, Works and Transportation
Gary Jarrett, Assistant Division Chief - Fire Prevention, Fire and Emergency Services, Community Services
Sandra Figueira, Youth Program Coordinator, Brampton Safe City
Cristiano Silveira, Enforcement Supervisor, Enforcement and By-law Services, Corporate Services
Term of Office:
Concurrent with the term of Council, ending November 30, 2014, or until successors are appointed
By-law 4-83, as amended
First Thursday of each month (excluding July and August, which will be “at the call of the Chair” if required) at 9:30 a.m. at City Hall
Committee of Council
City Clerk’s Office
- Reimbursement for any expenses incurred
- Mileage is paid at the City of Brampton corporate rate when the members are required to travel on Committee business
Click Here for Application
Terri Brenton, Legislative Co-ordinator