Leashing and "Running At Large"
In Brampton, you must keep all dogs on a leash whenever they are on any property other than your own – unless you are in designated "leash free" areas.
You are responsible for making sure that your dogs do not "run at large". A dog "running at large" means that it is unleashed, off its owner's property and not under its owner's control.
Brampton has designated three "leash free" areas. The City encourages you to use these three areas whenever you want to exercise your dog off its leash.
Animal Services staff may pick up any dog running at large and keep it at the animal shelter. If you allow your dogs to stray at large or off leash in undesignated areas, you could be fined as much as $5,000 for each offense.
"Stoop and Scoop"
You must clean up after your dogs.
We are asking for your help in keeping our parks and boulevards places that everyone can enjoy by walking your dog on a leash and removing any mess that your dog may make.
If you don't clean up after your dogs, you could be fined as much as $2,000.
Licensing and Registration
You must licence and register your dogs and cats with the City of Brampton.
You can buy licences and registrations by visiting one of our tag outlets or by printing our licence/registration form and mailing it along with payment to the City of Brampton Animal Services, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 4R2.
Please remember to notify Animal Services about any change of to your address or phone number so that we can update your pet's registration.
If you don't license and register your dog or cat, you could be fined.
Number of Animals
You can keep as many as three dogs and six cats – but no more than those numbers – in a residence in Brampton. City by-laws prevent you from keeping these animals in Brampton:
- All Anseriformes (such as ducks, geese, swans)
- All Galliformes (Such as grouse, pheasant, turkeys)
- All Sciuridae (such as Prairie dogs, Giant squirrels and Flying squirrel)
- All Marsupials (such as kangaroos and opossums)
- All Non-Human Primates (such as gorillas and monkeys)
- All Felids except the Domestic Cat (such as lions and tigers)
- All Canids except the Domestic Dog (such wolves and hybrids)
- All Viverrids (such as mongooses, civets and genets)
- All Mustelids except the Domestic Ferret (such as skunks and weasels)
- All Ursids (Bears) All Artiodactylus Ungulates (such as cattle, goats, sheep and pigs)
- All Procyonids (such as raccoons, coatis and cacomistles)
- All Hyaenas All Perissodactylus Ungulates (such as horses and zebra)
- All Elephants All Pinnipeds (such as seals, fur seals and walruses)
- All Snakes of the families Pythonidae and Boidae
- All Venomous Reptiles
- All Ratitie Birds (such as ostrichs, rheas, cassowaries)
- All Edentates (such as anteaters, sloths and armadillos)
- All Bats
- All Crocodilians (such as alligators and crocodiles)
- All Arachnids (such as scorpions and tarantulas)