We’re just getting started on our Age-Friendly Strategy. Click here
for the presentation from our Visioning Session held in August, 2018.
In the meantime, if you have comments or ideas, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 905.874.2054.
The City of Brampton has a diverse and growing population. According to Census Canada, Brampton’s seniors population rose by 40% between 2011 and 2016, to total 66,270. To meet the needs of its residents, by being inclusive and accessible, and promoting aging-in place, the City is developing an Age-Friendly Brampton Strategy.
The City is working to become a leader in age-friendliness by ensuring that the aging community has access to necessary services, is valued and able to contribute to civic life, and has a suitable environment with strong supports in which they can remain healthy and age safely, with purpose and dignity.
In preparing for a rapidly growing aging population, the City is pursing admission into the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Network of Age-Friendly Cities and Communities. Brampton is committed to advancing public and policy goals that align with the World Health Organization’s eight established focus areas that define an age-friendly community by:
- Outdoor spaces and public buildings that are pleasant, clean, secure and physically accessible;
- Public transportation that is affordable and accessible;
- Housing that is affordable, appropriately located, well built, well designed and secure;
- Ensuring opportunities for seniors to participate in leisure, social, cultural and spiritual activities with people of all ages and cultures;
- Encouraging civic participation;
- Improving access to information, and;
- Providing community support and access to health services tailored to the needs of older persons.;
An Age-Friendly Brampton Advisory Committee has been established to lead the Age Friendly Strategy that responds to the needs of the community, which includes members of the public, citizens and stakeholders. Information on the age-friendly advisory committee can be found here.
Recommendation Report: Development of an Age-Friendly Brampton Strategy and Advisory Committee.