Attending local and international trade shows is one of the ways the Brampton Economic Development and Tourism (EDT) office supports the expansion of our business community.
EDT staff visits a variety of industry trade shows throughout the year, focusing on Brampton’s already-strong industries such as Advanced Manufacturing, and on Brampton’s smaller but rapidly-growing industries such as Information and Communication Technology (ICT.)
Trade shows give EDT staff a chance to visit some of our own Brampton-based businesses, to learn about their capabilities, as well as to learn about trends in the industry. Being located adjacent to Canada’s largest city, Brampton benefits from easy access to some of Canada’s largest industry shows, such as:
- ATX/PackEx/Plast-Ex/Design & Manufacturing/ - http://atxcanada.designnews.com/ - automation, packaging, and plastics industries – alternating between Greater Toronto Region and Montreal each year (GTA next in May 2017)
- Canadian Manufacturing Technology Show (CMTS) - http://cmts.ca/ (GTA: Sept 28-Oct 1, 2016)
- FabTech - http://fabtechcanada.com/ - fabricating, metal forming, welding, finishing, and associated industries –(biannually in March – GTA next in March 2018)
- SIAL – https://sialcanada.com/en/ - food and beverage, technology, equipment and services for the food distribution, hotel and restaurant industries - alternating between Toronto and Montreal each year – (GTA next in April 2017)
Additionally, these national-sized shows attract businesses from the U.S. and around the globe. EDT staff get the opportunity to meet with foreign-based companies who are interested in doing business with Canadian companies. By gathering business intelligence and developing local and global networks, EDT can refer sellers to buyers.
Furthermore, trade shows provide leads for foreign direct investment. Attracting international companies to set up in Brampton is a key goal of Brampton EDT. More businesses add strength to our local economy by building jobs, capacity, innovation and other community contributions. In 2015, EDT visited three local shows and made over 80 in-person contacts.
Brampton businesses have the opportunity to attend and/or exhibit at these “local” shows with national significance. Brampton’s proximity to national-sized shows is a competitive advantage not enjoyed by companies outside of southern Ontario.
Businesses from Ontario also have opportunities throughout the year to join outbound Canadian delegations and participate in international trade shows, through province of Ontario and Government of Canada. Joining a delegation provides many benefits:
- Leveraging political connections to open up new relationships
- A co-ordinator with trade show specific experience
- A co-ordinator with market-specific experience
- Quite often, B2B matching arranged by the co-ordinator
- Networking with other Canadian companies in your industry
- A Canadian “home base” while abroad at a show, with marketing power And of course, shared costs savings plus funding opportunities
To learn more about taking your business global, visit www.Ontario.ca/export. Ontario will lead trade missions in Aerospace and Defense, ICT, Gaming and Entertainment, Life Sciences and Healthcare to international destinations including China, India, Vietnam and of course USA. Your business can apply to participate. For a listing of international trade shows that Province of Ontario will attend in 2016-2017, visit the calendar of international trade programs and missions: http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/medt/ontarioexports/en/Pages/TradeEventsListing.aspx